Saturday, July 02, 2011

home is where the heart is

Patton Oswalt did a joke where he said he was a man without a country because he hated the war in Iraq but at the same time hated hippies. Every year I used to go to Anime Expo here in LA to reaffirm that, I too, am a man without a country. I just tried to check it out again for the first time in three or four years and I was vastly disappointed. Me and Chris got there around eleven, found parking, and headed over to the convention center. We were pretty much immediately told that it was closing. One of the few things I used to genuinely enjoy about AX was the never ending activity. You could find any number of things to do at times of the day when hardly anyone would be awake normally. We did get to see some huge nerds though which was pretty awesome. I gotta give Chris credit, he's had crazy ass hemorrhoids (no pun intended, or was it?) and he came out with me on what was certain to be a pretty pointless adventure. He was high as a satellite though.

Part of me thinks I don't get along with these people because of my anxiety or whatever. At the same time I really don't feel the need to wear a raccoon hat or dress up as Faye Valentine. For whatever reason these hobbies generally lend themselves to socially inept and awkward people, which I will admit, I'm not completely bereft of these qualities. Somehow I still feel better adjusted than ninety percent of them, and I'm being generous there. However I'm a huge asshole and most of them are incredibly nice. The community is very forgiving of any kind of quirk, disease, or sexual deviance you may have. Anyways looks like I'm gonna miss out on some nostalgia this year, maybe I'll try again next year.

Oh look, today was the first Friday of the month, I wonder if there were any special events going on that I might've wanted to take anyone to.

1 comment:

Go ahead make my day